In light of the current events with the Covid-19 virus the ICCC board has sadly decided to cancel the 2020 convention.
Here is the new convention schedule:
- 2021 Berlin, Ohio
- 2022 Austin, Texas
- 2023 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
If you have made hotel reservations make sure that you cancel them.
Convention host, Bruce Dolen (#988), is honored to invite each of you to the upcoming International Coleman Collectors’ Convention. The 28th annual ICCC convention will take place at the Frank Fickett Scouting Center in Austin, Texas, June 25-27 2020.
Austin background and city highlights
Austin is a city with no shortage of history or legend. Home to the Texas state government, the University of Texas, historic architecture, notable monuments, and interesting museums as well as a world renowned music scene. Oh, and let’s not forget the barbeque.
Founded as Waterloo in the 1830s by immigrants primarily from Sweden, Germany and Mexico, the community was renamed Austin and became the capital of Texas in 1839. Several periods of growth occurred throughout the later 1800s, including 1883 when the University of Texas – Austin was founded. After a fire destroyed the original state capitol building, the current Capitol was completed in 1888, standing taller than the Capitol building in Washington DC.
Venue/Site info and details
The Fickett Service Center and Conference Center located at 12500 North IH‐35 in North Austin, near Parmer Lane, is a central hub for Scout leader training, support, and resources. It is also home to the Steve Matthew’s Scout Shop, the Sarah Keithley Conference Center, and the Puett Eagle Wall. We’re pleased to have use of this outstanding facility for the ICCC annual convention.
By Plane – Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is located to the south of Austin and is served by a large number of domestic and international carriers. Other options include Houston Intercontinental Airport which is about a 3-hour drive to the site or DFW International Airport which is approximately 3.5 hours to the site.
By Car – The primary interstate highway through Austin is Interstate 35 which runs northeast/southwest. There are a number of other travel routes that lead to Austin including a number of state and US highways.
By Train – Austin is served by Amtrak’s Texas Eagle with daily service from Chicago and San Antonio. The Amtrak station is located at 250 N. Lamar Blvd. and is approximately 20 minutes by car from the convention hotel/venue.
Hotel accommodations – The convention hotel is The SpringHill Suites Austin North/Parmer Lane and is located right next door to the Fickett Center convention site. They have provided us with a special $109 rate by using the following link (https://www.marriott.com/events/start.mi?id=1562940097624&key=GRP) or by phone using the event title International Coleman Collectors’ Club The convention rate is available Wednesday night, June 24th, through Sunday night, June 28th, for early attendees and for anyone wishing to stay over an additional night. The last day to book at the ICCC rate is June 3rd 2020.
SpringHill Suites Austin North/Parmer Lane, 12520 N Interstate 35, Austin, TX 78753 (512) 833-8100
RV sites and camping.
There are several RV parks in the Austin area; the closest site to the convention venue is the Austin RV Park North (about 8 miles north of the Fickett Center), 4001 Prairie Ln., Austin, TX 78728 www.austinrvpark.com
- The Texas Capitol is widely recognized as one of the nation’s most distinguished state capitols. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
- University of Texas – Stroll around the campus and take in the sights of this historic campus. If you are up for it you can take a self-guided tour of the famous UT Tower.
- The UT campus is also home to the LBJ Presidential Library and Archive and the acclaimed Blanton Museum of Art.
- Opened in 2001 as the official history museum of the State of Texas – The Bullock Texas State History Museum tells “The Story of Texas.”
- HOT? Nothing beats Barton Springs for cooling off on a hot summer day. It is the place to go to have a refreshing dip in a beautiful, natural setting in the heart of Austin.
Regional Attractions – Austin is located near several other historic and interesting cities and towns that provide a wide range of opportunities to explore the great state of Texas.
San Antonio is a major city in south-central Texas with a rich colonial heritage.
- The Alamo, an 18th-century Spanish mission preserved as a museum, marks an infamous 1836 battle for Texan independence from Mexico.
- The River Walk following the San Antonio River – the miles-long River Walk is a landmark pedestrian promenade lined with cafes and shops.
- Located in HemisFair Park, the 750 ft. Tower of the Americas overlooks the city and provides stunning views.
- Home of Texas A&M University – Texas A&M is a university like no other; it’s a place where tradition and school loyalty reign like nowhere else, and Aggies are always eager to tell you about their favorite traditions!
- Aggieland Safari is an Aggie owned and operated organization born from a love of animal stewardship and dedication to conservation. The park is designed to be a unique and exciting outdoor experience for families and people of all ages.
- As one of the top attractions in the State of Texas, the George H. W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, creates a museum experience that is both educational and entertaining for the whole family.
- Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum – A museum dedicated to the history and lore of the legendary Texas Rangers, the oldest state law enforcement agency in the nation.
- Dr. Pepper museum – a must for fans of Dr. Pepper. The museum is housed in the original bottling plant.
- Waco Mammoth National Park – Check out the 68,000 year old mammoth bone fossils!
Texas Travel Resources
Request a Texas Travel Guide from https://www.traveltexas.com/plan-a-trip/travel-guide/
Search for events and attractions at https://texashighways.com/